Friday, March 4, 2011

Dude, Where's My Walk?

I participate in a lot of charity walks for all sorts of illnesses and conditions.  I have done everything from being a walking participant, to donating money to even being a team captain.  I love to support charities and conditions of all kinds. But seriously, dude, where's my walk?  That's what I feel like asking society.  IC needs a charity walk. We need awareness and we need it yesterday.

I don't think many people realize how serious IC can be.  Women are losing their jobs, their ability to walk correctly, the ability to socialize and the ability to eat everyday food because of this disease.  It is not okay that this condition has no awareness.  I think the healthy looking exterior of many IC patients leads to a lack of compassion and charity from the outside world.  If a non-IC patient could have an IC bladder for even a few hours they would be screaming for a cure.  

We need to speak out and demand awareness.  Women have suffered in silence long enough due to this silent beast we call IC.  It took long enough for the medical community to accept the disease, but now that they have the public needs to know about this.  Without awareness we will never find a cure.  Without awareness there are women every day who are being misdiagnosed or ignored.  I think a national walk for a cure for IC would be a big step in the right direction.  
Do you have IC?  Do you have a friend or family member who suffers from IC?  What kind of awareness would you like to see?

8 comments:

sunmayden518 said...

I have suffered from IC since 1992; although I am now in remission it ruined my life. It took my job and my social life. I had no one to talk to because there was no internet in 1992. Because it doesn't show, no one believes you are ill. Something has to be done about this dreadful disease.

Anonymous said...

I'll walk. Let people see us cry as we walk. Let people see the pain on our faces. Let people see us have to stop and go to the bathroom.... LET THEM SEE IT...

The Valcat said...

I agree!! We need to get out there and do something about it. We need t-shirts, ribbons, fundraisers. We need everything that every other chronic illness has. Every charity that has a huge following now had to start somewhere.

Dayna said...

Yes we need a walk! I would love to get one started here but have no clue how. We need to yell and scream as loud as we can about this disease to make it known!

Unknown said...

yes!! I am all for it and have thought about organizing a walk many times!

Unknown said...

But a hefty walk is so PAINFUL!!! How about a sit-in instead. With lots of port-a-potties ;)

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I'm only 20 years old and I thought it was going to ruin my college career! My diet has been completely ruined! It is a good day if I can go to my classes! IC needs a lot more awareness, we need our own walk! <3 In search for a cure!

Samantha said...

I agree that we need a walk! I have no idea how to get one organized though...

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates