Monday, April 11, 2011

Positive Things That Chronic Pain Can Teach Us


Suffering from chronic pain, I go through phases where I spend a lot of time whining. I mean why not whine, pain sucks. However, I think it is important to always look at both sides of the spectrum. IC and other chronic painful conditions are difficult to live with, but having IC can also teach us to see the world a little differently.

Here are a few positive things that having IC has taught me:

-IC has taught me to be more understanding. Before IC, if someone ditched me at the last minute for plans I would automatically assume I was being stood up for a better offer. Now I realize that sometimes people cancel plans because they are suffering.

-IC has given me the chance to educate. I was fortunate enough to find out what was causing my pain. There are still many people suffering who don't know what is wrong. I can share my stories to help other people realize that they need to go see a new doctor and what questions to ask.

-Chronic pain has taught me that it is possible to hit rock bottom and bounce back. I am pretty sure laying on the floor in 10 pain or being thrown out of the ER "because I was faking" qualify as rock bottom. Seeing how far I have come and how much I can still accomplish with pain in my life means a lot.

-Pain has taught me that there is more than one definition of normal. We all can only be as normal as our specific situation allows us to be. Having to sit on a cushion on hard chairs isn't weird to me, it's just my normal.

-IC has taught me to be less judgmental.  Just because someone looks fine on the outside doesn't mean that you know what they are going through on the inside. Pain comes in all shapes, sizes and colors.

-IC has made me more creative and innovative. I have always been creative when it comes to writing and things of that sort, but IC has helped me to be creative in ALL aspects of life. I won't even begin to talk about the kinds of "ice packs" I have come up with and the creative ways I have had to sit. If you have IC I am sure you know exactly what I mean. It makes me realize that where there is a will, there is a way.

-Chronic pain has made me appreciate the little things more. People take for granted pain free weeks, months and years. I appreciate pain free days and magic moments just a little bit more than I used to.
I can write 500 pages about the negatives of IC and chronic pain and there would be enough text to fill them and tomorrow I may go back to my rants, but right here and right now it felt good to mention the few positives that come along with living a life with a condition that many have but not many have heard of.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written, Val. Informative, instructive and encouraging. Best of luck in the future and I hope they find a cure soon.

Samantha said...

Thanks for posting this! I tend to have trouble remembering some of the positives of all this.

The Valcat said...

Thank you for the kind words.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates