Friday, June 3, 2011

You Look Too Good- No Pain Pills for You

I literally get annoyed sometimes watching documentary shows about people who some how seem to have unlimited access to pain pills. These people don't need them and end up ruining their lives by becoming addicted to them. Meanwhile, so many women with IC need pain medications that they often can't get. I myself struggle to find proper pain management for my IC. I don't think many doctors sympathize with me b/c I am on the younger side and simply look "too good". 

Before I was diagnosed with IC I literally had actual doctors and nurses (who I no longer see of course) tell me that there was no way I could be in pain b/c I looked too good. Since when is pain always visible?? 

One really horrible symptom of IC that some women get is the feeling that someone stuck a jagged, broken piece of glass into their urethra. I mean seriously, picture it in your mind---image someone smashing a beer bottle and jamming it jagged side up into your pee area. IT WOULD HURT LIKE HELL. How could someone deny medications to someone who has to go through that? But unfortunately, it happens everyday. 

I wish there was some way to make our pain visible to others so that people would take us more seriously. So many women waste time and money going from doctor to doctor trying to find someone to take them seriously. 

It's not fair that we live in a country with so many available resources, but so many people are denied the help that they need. You would think if a patient is in pain to the point of tears a doctor would want to use any resource available to help that patient, but unfortunately that is not how it works.

What pisses me off most is that I know certain doctors who will give a laundry list of medications to people with back pain, leg pain, head pain etc. but will deny IC patients the same medications. Discrimination much?

Maybe someday some sort of technology will come out that can show our pain to doctors, but until then I guess all of us invisible pain people will continue to hear phrases such as "you look too good, no pain pills for you."

No matter how many times you are ignored or discouraged by a doctor never give up, keep searching for someone educated in IC who can help you. Good doctors are out there and waiting to help you. I myself am waiting to see a nationally known IC doctor in July. I will be sure to keep you all updated. Wishing everyone peace, love and many pain free days.







8 comments:

Mandy said...

I do not have the same problem as you, but I do understand. I have chronic pain, but not an unlimited supply that is for sure. Pain free days are a good thing!

Judloved said...

The long term usage of opiates like OxyContin or Vicodin can lead to a physical dependency on the drugs without which people don’t feel normal and they want the drug at any cost. The drugs act as nerve receptors and affect the thinking ability and the behavior to a very high extent. Apart from these there are many physical side effects which are very harmful for the patients. The chronic pain of the patients lead to the overdose of the drugs and people don’t even realize when it leads to addiction. In case of any accidents and other problems when the pain is very severe people are prescribed pain relievers which if not taken properly can lead to addiction. The doctor prescribes the medicines for a certain period but people continue to take the medicine even after the dosage finishes and this is the major sign of the addiction. There are many other signs which are when people travel long distances to purchase the medicines, they ask the doctor to give them more, they carry more than one prescription with them, complain the doctor for not giving the medicine properly and when they stay away from the family members and prefer staying alone then it means that they are being addicted to drugs.

Pelvic Treatment houston said...

I do understand the pain but I agree the fact that not be addicted to the pills. but therapies treatment are available in todays age. Feel free to check, what my organisation can offer.
Houston Pain Management

Lehi chiropractor said...

Lehi chiropractor practices chiropractic to provide treatment of misalignments of the joints, esp. those of the spinal column. Well, it is the most effective and safest way of treating any health disorder as this method provides completely friendly and caring atmosphere. So if you are getting discomfort in your back or if you are facing problems with muscles, joints, ligaments and nerve endings, then you should consult with Lehi chiropractor for chiropractic treatment. Well, for your kind knowledge - There are number of chiropractors available in the market to support chiropractic treatment but it is crucial that you should select the best chiropractor for your problems.

Anonymous said...

I just received all of my Dr and Hosp records. One of the Dr's... My GYN decided I should only have the records he saw fit to give me. Well I found out why He listed my complaint in one of his notes... along with allot of med jargon, then next to it and circled,,, Phych? Ok, so my main complaint about that, is If you as a Dr think My bladder, general pelvic, and lower back pain is psych, than why did you send me to a UroGyn? If you thought I needed a psych consult and didnt refer me to one, than (best case scen.) you are just being spiteful b/c you cant figure it out on your own. Or you are breaking your oath to do no harm (worst case) either way I am reporting him for refusing my records be released to me, and malpractice.

The Valcat said...

Jud...I agree with you that there are definitely people like that, but it is those people who ruin it for the people who really could benefit from pain medication in moderation and monitored by a doctor.

mbent said...

Yes, i have a friend who was taking about 10 vicodin a day for NOTHING...during the time I had had 4 surgeries and was having a hard time getting anything even after surgery!!! Those types have ruined it for us. I have it and I use it as a last resort (or, god forbid, if i want to TRY to have sex, i'll probably, for sure, need it afterwards, sad). I have to have it for migraines too sometimes. The biggest problem (besides becoming dependent on it it) for Pelvic pain is that you can easily become constipated and (for us OLDer gals!) we can have prolapse into the vaginal area (sorry, gross!) which can cause worse bladder issues....

mbent said...

The best relief I've found is physical therapy and biofeedback. I've had the vaginal pain (horrible) and urethral pain (equally bad!) and even lower back and rectal pain. At times it was just like a saddle of pain migrating to all areas, even my lower back and suprapubic area. I thought the PT would be a bunch of BS but those gals saved my ass. I am back to working out 3x a week (still need to lose a ton of weight but at least i'm back to working out!) and I feel better than ever. If I get stressed out I know how to do some stretching, trigger point work, etc. They taught me and I am lucky enough to live near PTs who know this stuff so I'm not panicked half the time wondering how I'm going to get some relief. I just wish I'd found them years ago. I had one urologist (WELL known guy in houston) be a real jerk to me. I was in TEARS in his office due to being in so much pain. I tearfully told him I used to cycle, do the MS150, etc. and he said he too had cycled at one time. He told me to 'go home and forget about my pain and get back on the bike!'...my question is, 'WHY do urologists NOT have a CLUE about this pain??? I just bought two awesome books about getting relief. I'm also drinking 90oz of water a day vs. a zillion diet cokes...it's helping get my bladder stronger.....gosh, it all takes some work but it's worth it. Glad to find this blog. I wanted to start one but now I don't have to!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates