Wednesday, August 17, 2011

ICan't Dance the Way That I Used to

I discovered something this past weekend at my bachelorette party: ICan't dance the way that I used to.

If we were to rewind to my college days, I could write a novel about those times called "Confessions of a Party Girl". I loved dancing. Before I was even legal to drink, I would get my hand stamped to go into the clubs and dance the night away. I would be on the dance floor from 9pm until 3am in stilettos three days a week.
Fast forward to the present, I am not even 30 years old yet and ICan't dance like I used to. Having IC just makes you exhausted. I had a really fun bachelorette party, but I did a lot, it was a busy day. There was traveling, dining out, gambling (all which I felt well during--yay me) and finally the dancing. 

After just a little while in the club, my bones hurt and I felt swollen. I started to feel exhausted and in a lot of pain. (I think I may also have Fibro in addition to IC but I have not gone for a diagnostic test yet b/c I am dreading having ANOTHER chronic ailment.) Anyway, my friends were awesome. When I couldn't dance anymore we went and hung out on the patio so I could have a chair. When we were done, we went back to our hotel room and laughed and pigged out on room service.

I know I am lucky to have friends who still love me even though ICan't dance the way that I used to, but it was slightly depressing for me anyway. It just shows how chronic pain can change life. Now that I am in my late 20s it is best I don't go out dancing all the time anyway, I know it is right to have other priorities, but I guess it would be nice to know the option is there. 

I felt slightly sorry for myself the next day as dancing to club music can be really fun, but then I thought about how lucky I am for the things that I can do and the important people in my life.

So maybe ICan't dance like I used to, but it's okay.

There are plenty of things I still CAN do:

ICan be an awesome friend, family member and fiance.

ICan still participate in lots of other fun things as long as I know my limitations and always do what is best for my body and my health.

ICan have a voice.

ICan get married.
And the list goes on...

And one of the most important things ICan do is spread the word about IC so that we can find a cure. Writing blog posts like this is a small start.









0 comments:

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates