Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Always Be Thankful for Your Health (and cute pajamas)

When I was a little kid, old ladies used to tell me to be thankful for my health. Well, I found out sooner in life than I wanted to that those beloved little old ladies were right. Healthy people often take health for granted. I mean it is easy to. Sometimes when you feel good it is easy just to work, play, travel and live and not think about what would happen if you ever got sick. Part of it may be that no one wants to think about getting sick because it is depressing. If you are reading this and you are totally healthy, take a moment to be thankful.

Now, IC has definitely made me realize that health is something to be thankful for. I never imagined only a few years ago that I would be 27 and fighting with doctors and having a weaker bladder than Betty White. I never imagined that I would find myself curled up with a heating pads on nights when I would rather be out with friends. But nonetheless, here I am. IC is real. Thousands of painful conditions are real. Even though IC can't kill you, it can certainly make life miserable at times.

Yes, these are my real pajamas, aren't they cute?
Despite the fact that I have IC however, I am still very thankful for many things that make having IC just a little bit easier. It is easy to get wrapped up in being negative (which I admit on some painful days I do) but there needs to be a time to stop and look at the positive. Little blessings are hidden everywhere and as bad as you may think your life can be at times there is always someone out there some place going through something worse.

I may have IC, but I am thankful that I also have:

-Health insurance to lower the cost of my doctor appointments and medications

-A car to get me to and from said appointments

-A husband, family and friends who stick by me

-Ice packs, heating pads, cushions and other tools to help me when I am in pain

-Lots of cute pajamas to wear on days when I am too sick to go out (hey, just because I am in pain, doesn't mean I can't still look adorable hehe)

So well I do like to bitch and moan sometimes about plenty of IC related things (pain management issues, insomnia etc.) and plenty of non-IC related things (student loans, rude people, the high cost of living) today I will be thankful for the things that I do have.

I may not have a perfect life (who does?) or a totally pain free life, but I do have a lucky life with plenty of blessings.

And even though I have IC and it is clearly no fun, I am still thankful for the parts of my health that I do have. Some people can't walk, can't see, have trouble breathing etc. and I am very blessed that I don't suffer from any of those issues. 

So this Thanksgiving season take the time to be thankful for things: big things like your health and even the little things like cute pajamas.

I wish all of my readers and your families a happy and blessed Thanksgiving filled with lots of turkey and minimal pain flares for you IC gals.

2 comments:

Christie said...

Hi there. I just recently found your blog. My doctor has diagnosed me with an overactive, irritated bladder but I seem to have some of the same symptoms you do though not quite as extreme. I must say, I am quite thankful to have found you because it's a tough thing, living with this uncooperative, fussy bladder of mine, and a lot of days I just want to cry. I'm not at all happy that you suffer so but I am pleased (for lack of a better word) to have found you as I've felt very alone in my discomfort. I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving with as little pain as possible. Thank you so very much for your blog.

The Valcat said...

Hi Christie-

Glad to have you here, but sorry you are having bladder problems. Do not let a doctor dismiss you and say you have OAB if you feel there is more to it. Definitely get a second opinion.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates