Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Yes, Sometimes We are Bitchy

Yes, sometimes we IC gals are a little bitchy, snippy and short-tempered. We are not snippy because we are mean people, we are snippy because chronic pain makes us this way. Chronic pain can lead a person to have a very short circuit. IC is a terrible condition and sometimes the pain can be unimaginable.

During high school and college, I used to be told that I "smile too much". I was always a very friendly person. I could light up a room and make other people happy.

Today, I am still a friendly and nice person. I am caring and generous and still have friends. But one thing is different, I am in chronic pain. 

Sometimes we IC gals may be giggly and nice, but a lot of times we may be struggling to put one foot in front of the other. Our bitchiness is probably experienced most by those closest to us. The more time someone spends with you,  the more likely they are to see you snap. It's easy to put on a smile and run into the drug store and attempt to be care free in front of the cashier. But it's a whole different story to always keep it together at home 24/7 when chronic pain is present, so our families suffer the most.



The biggest problem for me personally is that sometimes I am trying with all my might to do a task in 10 pain and then if someone nags me or picks a fight with me that is it, I verbally snap. I am short-tempered and snarky b/c I just can't handle anything else at that moment. I know I wouldn't be snarky in that situation on a day I wasn't in pain. 


So why are IC chicks sometimes bitchy?? Well imagine this...


Imagine you were minding your business and suddenly it felt like someone was pouring battery acid on your bladder.


Imagine you were working on your computer or watching TV and suddenly a level 10 pain shot through your vagina.


Imagine you were in the mall and suddenly your vuvla felt on fire to the point where you wanted to cry.


Imagine you were cleaning your house and suddenly you fall to the floor in tears b/c a shooting pain is radiating through your thigh.


Imagine you are trying to type up something and you can't finish it b/c you have to pee every 20 minutes.


These are the things us IC gals deal with almost  ALL of the time. Could you live like this ALL of the time? Maybe we deserve to be a little bitchy now and then. We have to be strong everyday and try to live productive lives despite the pain. Eventually, anyone would break down from the constant pain.


If you have a friend or family member with IC you need to be a little more compassionate if she seems bitchy or snippy or short-tempered now and then. She likely does not mean to be mean to you, she is probably in great pain and is having trouble coping. 


Now we do have to take some responsibility for our own behavior. Sometimes if I am having a really bad pain day I realize after a flare is over that maybe I said something bitchy to my husband or another family member and I do apologize and the person does understand. I  reassure them it was truly the pain talking and not me.


So before you can judge a girl with IC for being too snippy, you'd have to spend a day in her shoes. Remember those shoes come with a lot of bathrooms breaks, a lot of burning pain and a lot of stabbing pain.


IC sucks. It has taken a lot away from us. So maybe sometimes we are a little bitchy, but I think we deserve to be   ; )

1 comments:

mbent said...

Good description of what we can and do experience on a regular basis. I wish I had ONE friend in this area (not to wish this stuff on anyone but, hey!) who has this condition. It is SO bizarre that sometimes you feel you are just plain crazy!

 
Simply Yours Designs Cute Blogger Templates